So, Katie’s room was totally overdue for a bit of an upgrade. She was still using left-over bedding from the days when she shared the room with her adult sister. And her tastes had changed. Let’s face it, she’s more the girly-girl than Stephanie and I are. And along the way, I got the brilliant idea of building her a giant American Girl dollhouse in which to store/play with all of her AG stuff. I’ve had better ideas. In typical Trish fashion, I over-estimated my own abilities. It’s not the first time.
I bought the supplies for the dollhouse and got most of it framed out in the first two days. Total cost of the materials was only $150. Due to the fact that I had VERY specific requirements for the dollhouse, I had to buy higher quality wood, ie hardwood plywood etc. And when I asked David to help stand it up, things went south fast. It was not standing straight, holding its plumb and level, etc. To make a long story short, we had to call in an emergency professional. He took the whole mess back to his shop, fixed what I’d messed up, made a few alterations to make it stronger, then returned it to us. The thing is, I had built it IN the room. He had not. When it came time to get it up the tricky nine-step stairway to her room…it wouldn’t fit. So, he took it back to the shop and literally cut it in half, then re-assembled it once it was back in the room. It looked glorious and it’s still not totally done. We still have some furniture to make/buy and the bathroom hasn’t been touched at all. But for the total cost of just under $500, I think it’s pretty awesome. Here it is:
We even made adorable little windows out of framed printed doll pictures, decorative boxes cut in half and some ribbon flowers. Cute yes? The ends of the dollhouse where the windows are are actually cabinets that open for toy storage. Genius!
So, with the dollhouse finished and at least painted white, we set to work on the rest of her room. It was…for lack of a better word…a wreck. lol This is a little girl who loves her crafting and sewing, her dolls and dollhouses, plays three different musical instruments, and can read three books a week. On top of that, she has a passion for Webkinz and is the curator of her sister’s dollhouses, as well as her own. What you can’t see are the two Barbie houses that only get taken out when they are played with and a giant plastic container of Barbie furniture and clothes.
She wanted pink and girly, with lots of glitz and bling. So we found some suitably pink and ruffly comforters at Target, a beautiful pink chandelier at Amazon, and stumbled upon the drapes, sheers and wall mirrors at Walmart. You can’t tell it, but the sheers are covered in sequins as well. They really shine at night when the light hits them.
It still needs a little straightening up and I have to add one more shelf for trophy and horse display. Now, I suppose I have to provide a before picture. It’s embarrassing, it really is. But here you go,
The end result may not be perfect, but it sure is an improvement. I plan to replace the desk chair and put tutus around the storage cubes, put up the other shelf, then try….TRY…to get her to keep it clean. Here’s hoping!